7 Ways to Keep Your Gums Healthy

Healthy gums lead to healthy teeth. They also keep smiles bright and pretty. 

Gums keep your teeth in place. They form a seal around them so that you can eat them. The seal also keeps bacteria away from bones.

healthy teeth and gums

When you feel discomfort in the gums or see bleeding, take care of it promptly. Otherwise, it can easily lead to advanced periodontal disease. Gum disease moves through four stages. 

Dentists can take care of gingivitis and slight periodontal disease with ease. Once it reaches moderate and advanced, the cleaning must go deeper into the pockets.

To prevent periodontal disease and other issues, we outline seven ways to keep your gums healthy.

1. Start with a Clean Slate

It’s usually never too late to start taking care of your oral health. Healthy gums have two characteristics, pink and firm. If you notice that yours look red and swollen, it’s a warning sign.

Red and swollen gums can result from teeth grinding too. The pressure from the grinding impacts the teeth and surrounding gum area. Thus, a nightguard is a great solution.

If you already wear a nightguard, remember to keep it clean. Check out some cleaning tips here.

2. Brush Your Teeth Twice Daily

You’ll hear dental professionals state that it’s important to brush your teeth twice daily so much that it sounds cliche. However, there’s a rhyme to the reason.

Brushing your teeth is more than going through motions. The purpose is to dislodge any food particles hanging out inside your mouth, in between your teeth, and on top of the gums.

Food that hangs out for a few hours or overnight can cause gum bleeding and discomfort. Once you dislodge them, you’ll notice immediate relief. If you don’t, visit your dentist sooner rather than later.

Thus, brush with a purpose.

3. Floss Daily

Brushing reaches 85% of the spaces where food can hide. Flossing helps reach the remaining 15%. 

It’s a good idea to floss after brushing before going to bed. However, when you eat meals that leave behind several particles, floss afterward.

Food that easily gets stuck in between teeth includes: 

  • Spinach and salad
  • Meat
  • Popcorn
  • Seeds from berries

Therefore, after you eat them, consider flossing to get them out.

If you have an aversion to flossing, a water flosser gets the job done too. Like other dental tools, it continues evolving to deliver additional benefits and versatility. 

4. Rinse with Mouthwash

Rinsing with mouthwash completes your teeth brushing routine. 

Some people rinse with mouthwash before brushing their teeth. Others save it for last. If you opt for a whitening or fluoride mouthwash, you’ll save the rinse for the last step.

Swirling the liquid around in your mouth for 30 seconds can loosen anything that is still hiding between your teeth and on the gums. Plus, it gets rid of bacteria. 

Moreover, if you opt for a functional mouthwash, it delivers additional benefits.

When you don’t have mouthwash handy, you can use a salt or hydrogen peroxide rinse instead. Simply mix a couple of tablespoons of each in a cup with warm water.

5. Use the Right Products

Dental products range from practically free to expensive. You can brush with the Bluetooth, rechargeable toothbrush or you can opt for a manual brush. 

When it comes to toothpaste, each major brand sells varieties for most oral health needs. Toothpaste varieties include:

  • Sensitivity
  • Tartar control
  • Whitening
  • Fluoride

To pick the right tools for your dental needs, seek advice from your dentist. 

6. Avoid Smoking and Drugs

Now that you’ve spruced up your teeth cleaning routine, it’s time to cover something to avoid. Smoking and drugs will hurt your gums. 

Smoking reduces the amount of oxygen in a person’s bloodstream. Plus, it leads to more plaque buildup. Plaque eats away at teeth and gums. Therefore, skip smoking and drugs to keep your gums healthy.

7. Visit Your Dentist Twice Annually

Visiting your dentist twice annually benefits your overall oral health. Their knowledge, skills, and angles help them spot preventable problems. 

Plus, the cleaning and polishing make your smile look new again. 

You can check this dentist in tampa if you’re currently looking for one.

Conclusion

Keeping your gums healthy is easier when you employ a daily tooth brushing routine. Then, when you visit your dentist, the dental hygienist will remove the buildup. Keeping your teeth free of buildup is a major step toward keeping the gums pink and firm.

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.